420 (SweetWater)

This Extra Pale Ale was on tap at a pizza chain in Pier Park (Panama City Beach, FL). It was served in a plastic cup. The tap was shaped like a fish. Who could pass that up? I was up for some local beer, at least regional beer that I can't get at home. This ale was brewed in Atlanta, Georgia. After drinking this, I can now say that I have had a beer from GA.

From the SweetWater site:
"SweetWater 420 Extra Pale Ale, our most popular brew, is a tasty West Coast Style Pale Ale with a stimulating hop character and a crisp finish. 1st brewed on April 20th 1997.
Awards  2002 Silver Medal- Great American Beer Festival, 1997 – 2005 Creative Loafing Readers Choice – Best local beer, 1998 World Beer Cup silver medal, Top 10 Local beers – Atlanta Journal Constitution"

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It was a gold color with a foamy white head that stayed for a while. It smelled...like beer. Like, you know, the beer everyone thinks is normal? The smell that kept me away from beer for a while. Like...yellow beer. Yet it was a pale ale. Strange, I do think. 

Taste: This extra pale ale was bitter. This is expected, but I would have thought it would be more bitter and have a more hoppy flavor (extra pale ale). The hops had an okay taste for me, but I don't think I could have taken a stronger version of this hop flavor. 
It was light. The aftertaste matched the smell.

I would not drink this again. Looking at the SweetWater description, I'm mildly disappointed. I guess I can't pick out award-winning beer. Although, with the local awards...well GA isn't known for good beer.

Comments

Popular Posts