Bavarian Bombshell (Shoreline)
I tried out this schwartzbier at the Shoreline brewpub in Michigan City, IN. I generally enjoy their brews. The Shoreline beers are nothing too wonderful, but it is a great stop on the way home from shopping.
From the Shoreline site:
"Known as Schwartzbier in Germany, a rather strong, but surprisingly smooth, black lager. Nutty, chocolate flavors on the front. with a smooth, velvet finish. A rare beer to find in America. Prost!"
General Thoughts
This is one of those beers that I write about because I have to. It's not a fond memory, or a terrible one. This post is to just remember that I had it at Shoreline. Would I have it again, probably, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. I've had good schwartzbiers and bad leading up to my Germany trip and in Germany. This wasn't the worse I've had, but it's no Köstritzer.
Look and Smell: As is always the case at Shoreline, the beer was served too cold and somewhat flat. The beer had no head to speak of. It was really nice and black. It was not a thick syrupy beer. You could smell the malt and a very light roast.
Taste: This lager is a bit sweet. It tasted like it smelled, malty with barely any roast to speak of. I didn't taste anything nutty or chocolate about it, even after it warmed. It ended dry on the tongue.
From the Shoreline site:
"Known as Schwartzbier in Germany, a rather strong, but surprisingly smooth, black lager. Nutty, chocolate flavors on the front. with a smooth, velvet finish. A rare beer to find in America. Prost!"
General Thoughts
This is one of those beers that I write about because I have to. It's not a fond memory, or a terrible one. This post is to just remember that I had it at Shoreline. Would I have it again, probably, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. I've had good schwartzbiers and bad leading up to my Germany trip and in Germany. This wasn't the worse I've had, but it's no Köstritzer.Look and Smell: As is always the case at Shoreline, the beer was served too cold and somewhat flat. The beer had no head to speak of. It was really nice and black. It was not a thick syrupy beer. You could smell the malt and a very light roast.
Taste: This lager is a bit sweet. It tasted like it smelled, malty with barely any roast to speak of. I didn't taste anything nutty or chocolate about it, even after it warmed. It ended dry on the tongue.

Comments
Post a Comment