Samuel Jackson (Shoreline)

I couldn't pass up this Black IPA when I visited Shoreline Restaurant & Brewery this month. A black IPA? Sounds nice doesn't it?

From the menu:
"The 2nd offering of our commemorative 200th Batch. Six different types of malts combined with Galena, Perle and Columbus hops. A dark strong ale with large amounts of hops added during, as well as after the fermentation. Some compare it to a chocolate covered hop."

General Thoughts 
Look and Smell: This beer was actually black from what I could tell, not dark brown. It didn't have much head (remember, I'm at ShoreLine). If it had a good head it would be creamy and white. I'm surprised what little head it had wasn't chocolate colored. At this point I was not smelling much. ShoreLine is a smoking establishment, and the next table was enjoying that.

Taste: It was very bitter up front with a light roast. It seemed overly bitter to me. I think that it was too much and I wasn't enjoying the hops. It was like they dumped 3x the hops in right up front, so you didn't get the smell or taste of a staged addition. They did succeed in the bitterness though, points to them. The roast increased as it warmed. I tasted the bitter baker's chocolate. I wasn't a huge fan of this one. I probably wouldn't order it again.



***After reading that description from the menu again...I totally didn't taste any complexity of malt.***

Comments

Popular Posts