Smithwick's Irish Ale (Smithwick's)

This Irish red ale from Kilkenny has been a favorite of mine as long as I've been able to drink. It's a classic go-to beer. I've never been able to explain why. Even as I developed a taste for hoppy and bitter, this ale is still one of my favorites. This is probably the first time I've sat down with a Smithwick's and thought about it this much!

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It has a rich amber-brown color. It's on the dark side for an Irish ale. The head is white and thick. Malty and floral hop smell.

Taste: This brew is just comforting to me as soon as it hits my tongue. I think my brain has problems thinking about it critically, because it's such a known taste to me now. It's the perfect level of malt. Not sweet, very mellow. You get a short aftertaste.

It has a bit of a weird history that throws me off a bit. It was brewed by Smithwick's, but purchased by Guinness in 1965. They are listed also as being owned by Great Northern Brewery.

From the Smithwick's site:
Smithwick's is Ireland's favourite ale, from a tradition of ale brewing founded in 1710.

Aroma
Clean and delicate with different individual notes:
Fruit: From the top fermentation by the Smithwick's yeast, come aromatic "esters", creating a fruity aroma.
Floral: The Aroma Hops - added late in the boil, contribute clean, fresh floral notes.
Malty: Ale Malt, contributes aroma hinds of biscuit and caramel.

Appearance
Smithwick's is a clear beer with a rich ruby colour and creamy head.

Taste
  • Refreshing & clean, with a gentle balance of:
  • Bitterness from the Hops added early in the boil
  • Sweet/malty notes from the ale malt, and
  • Hint of roast/coffee - from the roasted barley.

Comments

Popular Posts