Simple Pleasures: Vibrant Yolk

It is amazing to me how the simple things are really what I find to be the most pleasurable. A fresh egg with a bright and rich yolk is one of my simple pleasures.

I had the luxury of enjoying brunch at a little onsite loft at Traders Point Creamery in Zionsville, IN. This is a fully operational dairy farm with fresh product from their farm or surrounding farms. Everything on the menu was as fresh as it could be, even down to the Bloody Mary mix from Hoosier Mama. So many people go their whole lives without ever experiencing a meal this fresh.

The Loft Restaurant is the perfect size for a sit-down meal. While the sound of the guests did carry, it wasn’t like sitting in a cafeteria. The wood beams and large open windows paired nicely with the white linen table cloths and fresh flowers on the table. They have a bar that serves a variety of ice cream, shakes, and of course milk.

I sat at my table near the dairy bar with a view of the cheese-aging room and the field below. The table had sea salt with kelp and black peppercorn grinders, so if you need these additions, you can do it right. The table was just big enough for me and my companion. We were close enough to hear one another, without feeling cramped. A few of their awards were displayed on the wall.

The waitress came up and talked us through the menu and other meal options for the day. The offerings for the day sounded divine, and the Bloody Mary sounded even better. With my rich, tomatoey, drink in hand, I ordered the Eggs Benedict over bacon with sausage on the side.

When it came to the table, I had to enjoy the sight of it before digging in. This plate had the perfect amount of hollandaise sauce with the freshest bright-green asparagus nestled between the two eggs. The eggs looked rich with big round yolks. The bacon beneath the eggs was thick and plentiful. The sausage patties looked perfectly cooked with a nice browned exterior.

My eyes did not deceive me. As I cut into the egg, the bright yet dark and rich yolk slowly came out to cover my handmade honey-wheat English muffin. This yolk was a sight to enjoy. It was vibrant, it was the perfect consistency, and it was wonderfully done.

It tasted as rich as it looked. The hollandaise sauce was perfect. They did not need to hide this meal by soaking it in the rich sauce. It was flavorful and complex. The asparagus was cooked to perfection. It still had a great crunch to it and a wonderfully green flavor. No taste was lost. The bacon was thick and crunchy. It was not too salty at all. The handmade sausage patties were cooked as well as they looked. They had the sweetness of maple syrup and the savory taste of pork. They were also not too salty. No need to salt this up to preserve it, it was getting eaten right away!

I cleaned the plate…I almost licked it clean.

No restaurant experience would be as delightful with poor service, and I found the service at The Loft to be stellar. As we were seated, the waitress came up soon after. She probably could have put the plate on the table and never returned, because I was too absorbed in the meal to tell the difference! But she didn’t rely on the amazing food to keep me occupied. Through the whole meal she was attentive without hovering. She made a great Bloody Mary too (the mix helped, but her proportions were dead on).

This meal helped me appreciate life and my senses. I am so grateful that I was able to have such an experience. I’m thankful to the hard-working farmers in Indiana, and everywhere for working to provide nutrition to the masses. I appreciate Traders Point Creamery for opening their doors and working with other farmers to allow the public to enjoy such an amazing product directly from the farm.

I can’t stress enough that this cannot be taken for granted. To my farming friends out there, you may think it strange of me to celebrate such a commonplace practice of consuming the perfect egg. As a native East-Coaster, it’s an experience that I hope I can enjoy over and over again. If only everyone could experience this simplest of pleasures.

Comments

Popular Posts