Beer + Bacon = Heaven?

Bacon is so in right now. I'd say that it's to obsession levels. We live in a society where bacon can be added to almost any meal. We have bacon-flavored seasonings, bacon images on our band-aids, and websites dedicated to the love of bacon. People rave over bacon topped with cheap melted chocolate. You want people to love your cupcake, even if it's Betty Crocker's finest? Add a thick slice of bacon on the top.

I will tell you right now that this post isn't talking about the wonder of bacon. It is not a love letter to that salted, cured meat. With all that said....I cannot deny that I like bacon. Bacon is a crave-able and savory treat. When the opportunity came up to attend a beer and bacon tasting at Paddy Long's, I took it. The beer was the main focus for me, the food was just the bacon on the cake.

For the next four days, I'll be highlighting each of the five-course bacon tasting. All of the notes are super brief, just to get the info out there with some general thoughts. It's not an in-depth review, it's just some notes jotted down while I was pigging out (pun intended).

Pairing #1: Metropolitan Krankshaft with Local Irish Bacon
Two Chicago Products that go great together. German-style Kölsch and unsmoked back bacon.



The bacon was salty and lean. It was tender and tasty. Of all of the pairings, this was the one that made me crave yolky eggs. The beer was okay. I've never been much for kölsch brews. It was clean though, no bad aftertaste. This was a simple light pairing. Good to start it off.

Comments

Popular Posts