Charkoota Rye (New Holland)

This smoked doppelbock was on the shelves early fall. I only grabbed one to see if I'd like it. New Holland is mostly good, but you can never be too sure. Flying pig on the label...worth the purchase with that alone.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This brew was almost black it was so very dark. The toffee-colored head was thick and bubbly. I smelled grain and flowers. I was told that I was nuts smelling flowers, but there they were. It smelled woody with a musky perfume.

Taste: I don't know if it was a mind twist from the label, but I tasted ham. Good-quality smoked ham. Not salty though. It was that kind of smoke. Maybe the combination with the sweeter malts drove it there. The beer itself was thin and flat, yet effervescent on the tongue. The aftertaste was caramel. I'd try it again. I'd recommend you try it once if you can get it this year or next. Wouldn't be an every day beer for me, but it wasn't half bad. It went well with my pizza and bacon-y potato skins.

From the New Holland site:
Charkoota Rye is a Smoked Rye Doppelbock. An homage to all things Pig, including Porkapalooza and the age-old tradition of Charcuterie, Charkoota Rye’s malty backbone is derived from a blend of rye and four other malts, including malted barley smoked over cherry wood.

Its smoke-forward body is balanced with tones of deep mollasses and caramel, with a crisp, clean lager finish. Delightful by itself, Charkoota is best served with its succulent counterpart, Pork.

Comments

Popular Posts