CynicAle (Surly Brewing Co)

While I perused my Surly stash last night I came upon some of this Belgian yeasty, oat and malty, and Slovenian hoppy brew. I had not tried this one yet, but after reading the description, I had to set it out for today! It's chilly enough that I don't refrigerate my brews anymore, and with the complex description I was happy to have this at room temp.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: I could smell the apricot as I poured it. It wasn't bad, but very noticeable. It was musky though, not super-sweet fruit. I never usually pick that stuff out when they call it out on the description. It's a pale gold with a white bubbly head that dissipated. Zero lacing as I drank it up.

Taste: I tasted the honey and fruit right on. I got high hops....I felt them on the roof of my mouth, and I can't explain it past that. It starts out creamy, but ends light. Honey really rounds it out. Almost meady malt. Not like an earthy buckwheat honey either. The aftertaste is sticky. I'm actually a little surprised that I like this. It is very tasty though. Enough for me to do a same day post while watching Mr. Astaire tap around his London hotel room.

From the Surly site:
Oh great, a fizzy yellow beer in a can, that's just what the craft beer world needs! CynicAle melds Old World ingredients in a new school style. French malted barley, English oats and Belgian yeast create honey & black pepper flavors. Lively Slovenian hops provide the floral, apricot and peach notes. Toss your doubts away, toss one back and enjoy!

STYLE: Belgian style Saison/Pale Ale
MALT: Pilsner, Aromatic, Oats
HOPS: Columbus, Slovenian Styrian Goldings
YEAST: Belgian Ale

Comments

Popular Posts