Reveling at Ravenswood Remix

This fest is one worth writing about. It was small but mighty. The idea of art made with recycled material was enough for me to travel for. As I walked up, I noticed the fest spanned the size of a parking lot. Not a ton of booths, but full of substance. Each and every booth had something unique and amazing.

There were only five food trucks and one booth, but each one had delicious food that I had to try. Tamales, gourmet pancakes, donuts, burritos and the like, empanadas, and polish sausages with pierogi. A good mix.


The drink selection was limited, but they had something for everyone. Wine from a local restaurant/winery, pilsner, wheat, and dunkel. All good stuff.

The band was upbeat and at a good volume for the venue. An animated brass band went up and down the walkways playing cheerful music between sets.


The art was the focus and the highlight of the event. What brought me there was the wonderful artistry of Justin Gershenson-Gates and his Mechanical Mind. He crafts these intricate pieces (tie bars, pendants, earrings) from old watch parts. They are carefully soldered together making them sturdy and durable.

As I walked on, I saw jewelry made of old coins and tokens fashioned by Lenzen Designs. I saw Kitschen Kouture aprons made of muumuus and table cloths. I browsed through record sleeves that had been selectively glittered by mmm designs

I tried on simplywoodrings and had the opportunity to purchase a set of rosewood rings made of an old xylophone key. I sniffed candles and walked away with two ginger-fig-scented soy candles from Nicolet Candle Company

I chatted with the creative creators of funky purses and tree skirts from Chicago Lost & Found. Their purses made of trousers and upholstery samples were uniquely named by the designer. Their tree skirts made from ties were kaleidoscopic. I saw some other booths with bags made from other types of materials too like plastics and screen-printed canvas.

I got the inside scoop and back story about the reclaimed wood used by Bill and Julie Newberry at Newberry Furniture. All of his work was reasonably priced with a neat story to match. I walked away with two pairs of beautifully crafted bocote chopsticks and some special gifts for friends.

I couldn't resist the allure of A Mechanical Mind and ended up picking up a second pendant to go with the little bird one that I purchased at Taste of Lincoln Avenue. This one has a watch winder hand grasping a copper watch face. 

We stayed longer than I expected. I walked through, sat and ate, and repeated a few times. The weather was fantastic. Cool and a bit cloudy. Being surrounded by all of that unique art and creative spirit made my Labor Day Weekend just what I needed it to be, relaxing, educational, and full of memorable experiences.

Artists
To purchase or for more information about the artists, materials, or in some cases causes, check out their sites.

Comments

Popular Posts