Chucky (Evil Czech)

Catch-22 in Merrilville is an interesting spot that is really hitting the mark catering to the typical beer crowd and the beer enthusiast. Along with the standards, they always have some local and not-so-local goodies on tap. Their staff is hit-or-miss when it comes to beer knowledge, but if you sit in view of the bar, you're in good shape.

On this visit I saw a string of interesting taps. It took a visit to the bar to make out the label. Evil Czech!

I had heard good things about this brewery. I want to say I've tried it before at a local fest, but I can't be sure. I have no notes. So...I tried all the ones that Catch-22 had available, starting with this Imperial IPA.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This amber brew had a thick off-white head that stuck around for a long while. It smelled like citrus and floral hops.

Taste: It has the hoppiness of a typical IPA, but the malt came in like a sweet fruit. It was more pithy than piney, though I got both flavors. It was a powerful, respectable IPA.

From the Evil Czech site:
Imperial isn’t just the name of the IPA; it’s also part of Chucky’s DNA. Rather, PSC is part of his DNA. Polaris Simcoe Citra hops give Chucky a noble characteristic to go with his perfectly balanced orange color and a fluffy white head that leaves a lacing on your glass. Exotic citrus balances perfectly with sweet caramel and malts to present a nose that gets your attention. The taste follows the nose perfectly, with well-ordered layers of pineapple, orange, and lemon peel competing for your attention.

Comments

Popular Posts