2013 Velvet Merkin (Firestone Walker)

I'm catching up on a backlog of brews. The last day of my long holiday weekend and I finally have the drive to blog.

I had this brew on tap at Bad Apple at the end of Oct. It was a really amazing brew that I couldn't skip notes on, even if it's taken this long. It was a barrel-aged version of their Velvet Merlin.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This black brew had a rich and creamy off-white head. It clings to the glass and brew the whole time. I smells like sugary cream with chocolate and vanilla.

Taste: This was a nice brew. It had some dark fruit flavors with chocolate cream. It was thick and boozy, but incredibly smooth. It was a decedent dessert. I'd compare it to Evil Twin's Biscotti Break (which I tasted from a friend's glass and didn't write up). This was a memorable brew. They release this special reserve every September.

From the Firestone Walker site:
Our decadent Oatmeal Stout lovingly aged in Bourbon barrels. Beautiful chocolate, espresso and vanilla-bourbon aromas hold your nose hostage. Rich dark chocolate truffle, bourbon and espresso create a dangerously smooth and incredibly drinkable barrel aged Oatmeal Stout. Hoarding tendencies may occur.

Comments

Popular Posts