Longing for Summer: Smoked Porter with Chipotle Peppers (Stone)

Sitting at home during an unseasonally chilly last day of May, I went shopping in my cellar. I grabbed a bottle of the 2014 Stone limited summer release, a smoked porter with chipotle peppers. It seemed rich enough for this rainy day, with a flavor that would help me get into the summer spirit of grilling and relaxing on the patio. It didn't disappoint.

I'll admit that I did not drink this within 120 days after bottling. Stone is all about the fresh flavor of their fresh brews, but with my common palate, I didn't detect a breakdown of flavor. So, I bucked authority.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This black-ish brew had a ruby glow. It had an off-white and frothy head that sticks around. It had a lightly smoky aroma with a sweet malty smell.

Taste: It had a mellow, even burn. It had a molasses earthiness to it.The smoke is almost sweet. It's really well balanced. I could drink it all day. It would go well with cheesy dishes or light Mexican-style fare. It could balance rich red meats. Gosh, this made me hungry!

Comments

Popular Posts