Baffo d’Oro (Moretti)

Italy is wine country, that much I know. I had some good, and some not-so-good, wine on a recent trip to the Northwest and Tuscan regions. The trip landed us in Rome for a bit. We weren't there long before we had a hankering for a brew. The Warsteiner we had on the plane was a distant memory. Knowing that the tastes favor light lagers, I thought we might be able to find more beer diversity in this bustling city than the others on the itinerary.

It was time for lunch...or an early dinner...or some type of food. I sat down with the intention of a glass wine and snack and ended up with a pour of lager and a plate of pasta in a cream and pork sauce!

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This dark yellow/gold brew was served perfectly chilled. The head was a white froth that clung to the glass. I could smell the lager yeast without trying.

Taste: The lager yeast was the primary taste. It had an acidity that wipes that flavor and lifted off any aftertaste. It was a very light brew, but not light as clear lagers.

While lagers might not satisfy any hop or malt cravings I may have, I can still appreciate a good lager. I can even enjoy one from a brewery owned by Heineken.

The lack of beer diversity leads to Tani just ordering "beer" and seeing what she'll get. This one was listed as Golden Mustache on the menu, but that's as far as it went. Not quite trusting the picture on the glass to match the beer it contained, it was a bit of a trick to find out who brewed this beer. (And it wasn't on their website.) It was a theme this trip, the translated menu, confusion. This beer translates to Golden Mustache, which lead me to a wild hunt. I've traveled many times, and this is the first time I've encountered the English menu confusion. Just give me the local one, I'll figure it out! 

While I can find Moretti ads for this brew on YouTube and references to it in Wikipedia, it is not listed on the Moretti site. 

Comments

Popular Posts