Leviathan Triticus (Harpoon)

I had this on tap at Regional Food and Drink in DC. This was the first wheatwine I've had. I only had a large taste of it, but I couldn't help but ask about it. I ended up with a healthy taste about three inches in a pint glass. Enough to get a good idea of what this beer had to offer.

This beer is part of the Leviathan series.

From the Harpoon site:
"Latin for "wheat," Triticus is a strong and dark wheat wine-style ale that boasts 11.5% alcohol-by-volume. The blend of 50% wheat malts, including caramel and chocolate, provides color and depth of flavor. Complex hopping and dry-hopping lends a delicate spiciness and just enough balance to complement its strength.
 
We originally brewed Triticus in 2005 with guest brewers Jason and Todd Alström, founders of BeerAdvocate.com, as part of Harpoon's 100 Barrel Series. A draft-only batch was brewed to launch the Leviathan series two years ago and we have wanted more ever since. We are happy to now offer Triticus in bottles for the first time since its 100 Barrel debut five years ago. 

Original Release: as part of 100 Barrel Series (#10) in Summer 2005; as part of Leviathan Series in June 2008"

General Thoughts: This was definitely no session beer. It had a great flavor, but I wasn't in love with it. It didn't hide the 11.5% ABV at all. It was really dark. I wouldn't say that the flavor was overly complex, but I would say that what it did have was strong. I'd drink it again, but would not list it among my favorites. I suppose that it's a respectable brew. I thought I may have just been a little overwhelmed for the night, but then I had a half pint of rich Founders Breakfast Stout (bottled) and drank it right down.

Comments

Popular Posts