Bitter Melon Manhattan

I love Manhattans. I  love them more when my live-in bartender makes them, he has perfected the art of the Maker's Manhattan. This is a bit of a twist on it with a farmers market find.

Ingredients
1/2 tbsp of finely sliced bitter melon/drink (chopped in 1 in/one rib pieces)
one part sweet vermouth
two parts bourbon (Maker's Mark)


Shake up the liquid with ice and strain. (I know that you should stir cocktails with only alcohol, but I like it this way.) Add in the bitter melon and stir. Let it sit for a minute. You can drink right away, but waiting gives it time for the melon to infuse. Drink and be sure to eat the soaked bitter melon after you're done!

**It's even better when the bitter melon is infused. When I can score one of these at the market, I chop it up into thin slices and soak it in bourbon to make my own bitters. It lasts quite a while, so you can have it long after the markets close.

Comments

Popular Posts