Black Sun (Three Floyds)

I was able to find this seasonal stout at Heritage Health Foods in Country Club Hills, IL. In the year I've been going to Three Floyds, I have not seen this one available yet. I drank it out of a tulip, not a pint glass, it just seemed right.

Three Floyds is shy about their beers, at least they don't post descriptions online. From the bottle:
"An inky black stout with a lugubrious brown foam ring in the glass topped by an attractive oil slick. Enticing aromas of deep roast coffee plus touches vanilla and smoke. Flavor is very complex, with chocolate, cherry and dried fruit dominating. Creamy smooth mouthfeel, very thick and full-bodied for the style. All this malty sweetness is balanced by the hops upfront and the roasted malt bitterness playing against the sweet caramelly favors [sic] at the end."

General Thoughts
When it poured, the head was really foamy, not creamy, but really fluffy light foam that dissipated quickly after the full pour. It left a bit of a crust on my rim. It is a really, really, dark brown. I would say black, but with the yeasty bits it's dark chocolate colored.

With all this talk about oil slicks, I was expecting a viscous drink, but it's super carbonated and almost light. I don't taste the creaminess of it. I would say that it's more creamy than a pils, but it's no Guinness or Wexford. Super roasted.

The only place I'll drink my coffee is in my beer, and this fits that need. If it wasn't so carbonated, I'd say this could be a breakfast beer. You can smell the roast on it and a bit of sweetness (chocolate), but it does not have an explosive aroma. When you first taste it you get a tiny hint of sweet, but as it rolls back to your bitter zone, the hops hit you strong.

The aftertaste is roasted and dry (as a dry stout should be). I can't say that this is my favorite stout, but it's a wonderful brew.

****Tasted again on tap at Three Floyds 12/26. It tasted much the same on tap.****

Comments

Popular Posts