Dirtoir Black Lager (Rogue)

This lager is part of the GYO series of Chatoe Rogue, like the Single Malt Ale. This was released January 1, 2010.

From the Rogue site:
Style: Black Lager      Food Pairing: Seafood, Hot & Spicy
 
Tasting Notes:
Jet black in color with a tan head, medium to full bodied, deftly balanced, seamless dark roasted malt flavors with a smooth bitterness, lingering long finish.

9 Ingredients: Malts: Melanoidin, Carafe Special II, Black, Chocolate and Rogue Micro-Barley Farm first growth Risk malts.
Hops:
Rogue Micro-Hop Yard first growth Independent and Revolution.
Yeast & Water: Oktoberfest Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.
Specs: 15º PLATO
35 IBU
68 AA
75º Lovibond


General Thoughts: This poured really thick, thicker than expected for a lager. It coats the glass when it's tipped. Nice somewhat bubbly head,with a nice roasted color. It settled quickly, with a thin layer lingering. Smells like a light roast. Not overpowering, but not easily missed. Roasted chocolate milk? Maybe I'm nuts, but that's what I taste. My mouth is still watering after the drink is gone. The sweet/front part of my tongue is feeling this, even though it doesn't taste incredibly sweet to me. At the same time, the roasted flavor is a little overpowering. This is definitely a unique lager. I would say a must try. I wouldn't say it's an everyday beer.

Comments

Popular Posts