El Camino (Un)Real Black Ale (Stone, 21st Amendment, Firestone Walker)

I got the Stone bottle of this collaboration ale. I've had this before, but didn't remember the taste (another reason for the blog). It's Stone's first collaboration beer of 2010. It's brewed with fennel seed, chia seed, and peppercorns--with Mission Figs added.

From the Stone site:

QUICK FACTS
Brewers:
Matt Brynildson of Firestone Walker, Paso Robles CA
Shaun O'Sullivan of 21st Amendment, San Francisco CA
Mitch Steele of Stone Brewing Co., San Diego
Alc/Vol: 9.5%
Bottle Size: 12oz
Brew Date: January 15th, 2010
Release Date: March 22nd, 2010


General Thoughts: A nice bubbly head that dissipates quickly. No lacing. You can smell the peppercorns and fig straight away. I smell a faint bit of fennel too, but I don't know if I smell it because I know it's there. It smells fresh. I had just had a peppery meal an hour or so before, so the thought of the pepper was fresh on the tongue. You taste some bitter, it is a black ale, but that pepper taste lingers. The fig has a slightly savory and sweet taste, if that can be together. You taste that with the pepper at the end. The aftertaste is quite nice. I would definitely have this over and over again...if it was available.

Comments

Popular Posts