The Maharaja (Avery)

This IPA is a limited release in Avery's Dictator Series. I feel that I've neglected Avery lately. It's one of those breweries that I know makes great brews, so it's not too new.

From the Avery site:
"Beer Style: Imperial India Pale Ale
Hop Variety: Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial and Chinook
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, caramel 120L, victory
OG: 1.090   ABV: 10.24%   IBUs: 102 
Color: Dark Amber
Availability: Seasonally produced from March through August. 22oz. bombers, 1/6BBL and 1/2BBL kegs.


Maharaja is derived from the sanskrit words mahat, - 'great' and rajan - 'king'. Much like its namesake, this imperial IPA is regal, intense and mighty. With hops and malts as his servants, he rules both with a heavy hand. The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley - fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence."


General Thoughts: This poured a beautiful amber with a nice head that hung around. I could smell the hops as the bottle was opened. This isn't the type of IPA that is trying to cover all taste with hops; this is a nice rich beer. It is rare, if ever, to find such a creamy IPA. I love creamy brews with substance. This is a feel-good beer to enjoy after a less-than-fun day at work. The lacing is great for an IPA. Almost mesmerizing to stare at as you are entranced by the hoppy flavor. It's an entirely different type of bitter all together. The aftertaste is nice. Light and lingering, much better than those that slam you with hops that stay strong for hours. It just mingles in my mouth. This is a great brew with a great balance. I need to get my hands on these hops for my next brew.

Comments

Popular Posts