Wake Up Dead (Left Hand Brewing Company)

This barrel-aged Russian Imperial Stout is something that I've heard about from my FTC brew buddy. Left Hand is one of my favorites for stouts, so this was an easy choice for me.

From the Left Hand site:
"On the brink of catastrophe. But don’t be discouraged. You are ripe for a revolution! Just like the Bolsheviks of the early 1900’s, our barrel-aged Russian Imperial Stout doesn’t happen overnight. Patience is required. Wake Up dead hibernates in our cellars for over 12 months before being blended to woody perfection. Hints of raisins, cherry, licorice and toffee, followed by earthy, herbal hope notes that rise up, joining you in your fight for a better life. Don’t be afraid of the dark. All power to the stouts!"

General Thoughts: I could smell it as soon as it was cracked. Almost a sweet fragrance; not overpowering. Mellow. Not much head on pour with just a tad bit of light-colored head showing up after. Black. Surprisingly light flavor. I taste the oak up front and it lingers. Malty and creamy. Roasted aftertaste. I feel it on the roof of my mouth. I'd drink this again. This is among my favorites!

Comments

Popular Posts