Carolina-Inspired BBQ Sauce

You may be able to tell from my other posts that my taste buds fair on the bitter side. When I was making bbq beef, I had to try a vinegar-based sauce to top it off.

This sauce is a basic mix that can be used through out the cooking process as you wish.
  • Pour this on an hour or so before cooking your meat.
  • Mop your meat with it during the cooking process.
  • Shred your meat when it's done and pour this on top.
  • Have it on the side.
The first time I made this, I lightly drizzled it on a portion of the shredded meat.

Ingredients (for about 4 c)
3 c of Apple Cider Vinegar (white vinegar would do, but apple cider vinegar gives it a better taste)
2 medium-sized Tomatoes
1 tsp of Salt (or more to taste)
1 tbsp of Pepper (or more to taste)
1/2 tsp of Chili Powder (optional)

In a high-powered blender, puree the tomatoes with the vinegar. When it is as liquefied as possible pour into a bowl. Mix in salt, pepper, and chili powder (if using). Whisk well, the vinegar will dissolve the spices very well. Let sit for 6+ hours for the liquid to settle (the blending process really froths it up). 

I know that tomato doesn't really make it's way into a true Carolina-style sauce, but I think it mellows the vinegar out, while still keeping the acid. Plus it adds a tiny bit of thickness to the sauce. Not enough to make it a thick tomato sauce, but just enough.



Comments

Popular Posts