Chocolate Indulgence (Ommegang)


I enjoyed this stout on tap in a goblet. I was hesitant to try this chocolate stout, because I'm not one for chocolate beers. I've seen it a number of times in stores, and I shied away from it. Ommegang does  have a good record with me though. On tap, I couldn't resist.


General Thoughts
Look and Smell: Perfectly dark with a chocolate-colored creamy head. It smelled of rich chocolate, not like a hot chocolate. Not too sweet, but not too bitter. The creaminess clung to the glass with a good bit of lacing.

Taste: It has a great creamy consistency. It coats the mouth. You taste the bitter chocolate and stout; it's not sweet or as overpowering as I was expecting. This is not a beer for chocolate lovers. It has a bitter aftertaste. Not sure if it has that roast I taste or if the color and bitter chocolate are deceiving me. It's a great dessert beer, but also paired well with food. I may get a bottle of this and cook up a steak to accompany it!

From the Ommegang site:
"Chocolate Indulgence comes with a thick tan head of foam resting on top of the rich onyx-colored liquid. The aroma immediately speaks of dark chocolate and dark malts. The gentle herbal nose of Perle hops compliments the darker notes, making the beer savory to the senses.

The taste continues with the intense Belgian dark chocolate gliding across the tongue; starting sweet up front but giving way to rich cocoa flavors at the back. Through it all, a subtle fruitiness from our special Belgian yeast gives the beer brightness otherwise foreign to a beer style normally associated with gray foggy skies. 

Lingering chocolate entices the drinker to taste more. Go ahead. Dessert is good for the soul."

Comments

Popular Posts