Dogfather (Laughing Dog)

Now this was one I couldn't pass up from the label alone. It seemed creative, innovative, and well done. I can't hide that I have a bit of love for the Puzo/Coppola masterpiece, so the beer....well I needed it. Of course, my fondness of dark stouts didn't hurt either.

My odd obsession did well for me this time. Though, this may have added to it. A book, a movie, and a stout.

I brought out this brew during a Godfather movie marathon. (Although, just watching the first one may count as a marathon.) I also happened to be in the mood for Imperial Stouts that afternoon. This beer really added to the experience. I found myself watching the beer more than the film!



General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It had a thick, creamy, chocolate-colored head that stayed for a long time. Five minutes after a very careful pour it was still going strong. It looks like a root beer float as it settles. This brew is so black that I could see my reflection in the glass. It was so thick on the pour that it drizzled out of the bomber, high viscosity goodness. The bubbly head left quite a bit of lacing behind, which illustrates the level of malt we were dealing with. It had a bitter roasted smell.



Taste: I enjoyed this one more than the Upland Teddy Bear Kisses that I had prior. This says a lot, because I really enjoyed that. This seems to have similar bitter levels, but was more chocolaty. (Although, TBK is 80 IBU and Dogfather is 71 IBU.) It was creamier and lighter. It was mellow. I could taste the alcohol more in this, but smell it more in the Upland brew. Don't take my favor toward this one over that too seriously, because I can generally say that my favorite beer is the beer in hand. The aftertaste is more like chocolate milk than espresso.

Love the movie, love the beer!

From the Laughing Dog site:
“I've got a brew You Cant Refuse”
The Dogfather is one of the biggest brews we have made.
Weighing in at a hefty 11% percent, the Dogfather has 7 malts and 4 different hops giving it a complex flavor profile.
Over 11 months in the making some of the Dogfather is bourbon barrel aged.
This is a very limited release for the first of November, Get it before it’s gone!
But trust us, it will be back next year.


Comments

Popular Posts