Matilda 2010 (Goose Island)

I normally don't like Goose Island beers, and that's my warning before you read on. They aren't bad, just not something I like. I saw posters for this Belgian Style Ale, and the bar didn't have a great selection of beer. I figured it was worth a shot. I will tell you that while my date's Sofie (another Goose Island vintage ale) was poured from the tap into a nice (proper) Goose Island wide glass, mine was served with a cold pint glass. While I'm not above drinking beer in whatever glass I get (I think some of the glassware is hype)....I cannot stand a frozen glass for anything other than a pils. It took forever to get to any kind of proper temperature, and it smelled like gross ice...that taints this post. *snobby, snob*

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It was a gold orange. It had little head when I poured it from the bottle. Little lacing. Through the gross ice smell from the glass, I got sugar and malt. Not malty sweet...actual sugar.

Taste: It was very sugary. It had some bitter to it. You get the malty aftertaste. I guess I'm not surprised that a Goose Island Belgian Style brew would be sugary instead of a more complex sweet. I just looked at the description on their site, and they refer to it as a Belgian Style Pale Ale. It doesn't have a hoppy enough taste for pale ale to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'd try it again (in a clean glass), but I wouldn't pay the inflated 6-pack price. I honestly don't remember how much the 6-pack was at the store last time I saw it...but I thought it was a bit much. I'd try some more of their beer too.  My expectations are a little low.

From the Goose Island site:

Brewmasters Notes:
Wild in character, with a slightly fruity aroma and a spicy yeast flavor that is as unique as it is satisfying – Matilda is an intriguing choice for beer and wine lovers alike. Dry and quenching, it’s the perfect accompaniment at the dining table or for casually socializing at the bar.
Recipe Information:
Style: Belgian Style Pale Ale
Alcohol by Volume: 7%
International Bitterness Units: 32
Color: Golden Sunrise
Hops: Styrian, Saaz
Malts: 2-Row, Caramel

Serving Suggestions:
Preferred Glass: Wide Mouth Glass
Food Pairings: Matilda pairs with many foods. Its spicy yeast flavors complement fresh mussels and contrast rich pork belly.

Cheese Pairings: Camembert, Washed Rind Cheeses
Cellaring Notes: Develops in the bottle for up to 5 years

Comments

Popular Posts