Cuvee Brut (Liefmans)

I had this kriek on tap in Sheffield's in Wrigleyville. Kriek beers are definitely an acquired taste. They definitely aren't a taste that most people think of when they think of beer. This post is going to be light, because I was enjoying the food and company. The summary is....I really, really, really liked it. It did not disappoint.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It was a reddish-purple color to me. It had a thin, white head with little bubbles. It smelled like sour fruit.

Taste: I really liked it. It was sour. It had tons of cherry flavor. It was a very concentrated flavor all around, not just concentrated cherries. It wasn't as medicinal as some krieks are. I'd definitely order this kriek again. I would recommend this one to people trying krieks for the first time.

From the Lefmans site:
This Kriek is made with a completely different method from Kriek Lambic. It starts with old brown beer, with is macerated with fresh whole cherries in shallow, horizontal tanks [every 100 liter brown beer hold 13 kg cherries]. Then it matures for about 1 year, afterwards it is blended with both Oud Bruin and Goudenband of different ages. The result is a well-balanced sour and sweet Kriek of great complexity.

Comments

Popular Posts