Dark Lord 2010 (Three Floyds)

Last year I had the chance to go to Dark Lord Day and pick up a few of their Russian Imperial Stout for the year. This green-waxed beauty only set me back the $10 for the event ticket and the $15 for the bottle, but now they are selling on eBay for crazy $$. Regardless, I drank it anyway, I like beer more than money.

I tried it when I bought it, celebrated my 2010 anniversary with it, and cracked open a bottle after getting DLD 2011 tickets in the short window before they sold out. It definitely mellowed out over time when I tried it this last time.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: Black with a thin coffee-colored head. I could smell really heavy dark fruit (cherry). In contrast I smelled espresso and chocolate, cigar tobacco, and.....wood. It is just amazing how complex the smell is. I don't want to sound like a BA nut, but that's what I smelled.

Taste:  It was thick and tangy. The viscosity was enjoyable. It coats the glass. It wasn't super carbonated, but it still has light bubbles. It was sticky. The taste was as complex as the smell. The dark fruit was heavy and strong. It was like a good port, that ripe fruit. The aftertaste was a roasted coffee and bitter. I tasted burnt wood. This isn't an oak...I can't explain it. I could taste anise when it warmed. It was mellow, but the alcohol still comes through. Very, very good. I wouldn't pay $100 for this, but I wouldn't pay that much for any beer.

From the bottle:
Dark Lord is a gargantuan Russian Style Imperial Stout, with a reverse cascading head that starts billowing the color of burnt oil like the Dark Lord rising from the black primordial beginnings. Its Resonant vinous aroma has been described as cherries, sweet, malt, molasses, burnt currants, plums, with a port wine alcohol undertow. Mochachino notes buried within. Motor oil consistency, hellishly smooth yet divinely burnt and vinous. The first sip coats your palate with a palatial charred fruit and chocolate blanket. Alcohol burn wiggles its way down your throat with a thick body. Enjoy and thanks for your continuing support.

Comments

Popular Posts