My Threesome with Three Floyds

In writing this blog I find that my favored brewer seems to be Three Floyds. I must say that I've enjoyed almost every one of their brews that I've tried, which has been pretty much all of them over the past two years. When it comes for selection now, I generally don't order one of their flagship brews. So you don't see those on this site. With my favoritism of Three Floyds (that you'll see in most IPA and Baltic Porter posts), I figured it would be fitting to explain my little love affair with Three Floyds, shared with my partner.

It all started at a pub not too far from Three Floyds. My husband had moved to the area, and I was visiting to help find a house. He told me of this pub where they had this crazy local Indiana brew. They had three or so of them. As I sat down at this Munster-area pub, I ordered Robert the Bruce Scottish Ale. McEwan's Scotch Ale was my comfort beer, and I was a long way from home.

I put that cold glass up to my lips. As the red, malty brew entered my mouth I almost fell off of the stool I was sitting on. It was good. It was powerful and malty, but not too sweet. The other two were okay, but if a local operation could brew something this good, I knew that this could be the place for me. The bartender leaned in. She told us a secret; one that wasn't the best business decision she could have made. "You know, I probably shouldn't tell you, but the brewery is right down the street. They have a little bar too."


And this began my descent into a torrid love affair with Three Floyds, with my husband along for the ride. I seem to find myself at the brewpub at least 4 times a month. Friends come and visit; this is a destination.

If you read other accounts of Three Floyds patrons, they'll speak of the dark music, the wild art and decor, and of course the random movie (Saturday Morning Cartoon or horror flick) projected onto the screen. I'm not going to go too far into describing that audio and visual part of the experience. While you can't deny the visual appeal of everything they do, for me it's all about two other senses, smell and taste.

I am able to smell and taste to the fullest at Three Floyds. All because of one thing that took me forever to realize, but is brilliantly perfect; the absence of smoke. It's a smoke-free pub that doesn't let the powerful tobacco smoke disrupt the experience of the food and drink. My senses are overwhelmed with the tasty and fragrant beverages and food. I thank Three Floyds for not allowing any distractions. I'm not against smoking in restaurants, but in a spot this small it would really get in the way.

I can smell the grain from the parking lot as I walk into the brewpub. I'm greeted as I walk in. It's somewhere between a general acknowledgement and a down-home welcome. It doesn't seem like a calculated part of a business formula. I grab a seat at the bar, and the bartender is right there to see what I want. Any questions I have are answered (with words or with tasters). They generally have 6+ of their beers on tap, and some very respectable guest taps to choose from.

I chat with my husband and order a beer and a wonderful tidbit from their ever-changing (weekly) menu. My beer comes as soon as it's poured. It's generally always a perfect pour, little spilling with perfect head. The Three Floyds pour is my standard. My husband and I look at our wonderful beverages, we smell and taste them. Not in an annoying obsessive way, but in a slow calculated way to really absorb all of the complexity of the brew. Three Floyds' brews are generally very complex. Sometimes they hit all parts of your tongue, sometimes a few, never just one. The taste just rolls all over your mouth. Perfect carbonation. Sometimes it's creamy, sometimes it's light, other times it can be syrupy. I get the roasted...I get the wheaty...I get the malty...and of course, I get the hoppy. We taste, really taste, our first beer of the visit. Then we share.

I think the sharing may be the best part of the experience. All that I get to smell and taste is doubled with my wonderful husband accompanying me.

Cassoulet and Bangers & Mash
We talk about the flavor the aroma of the beer, and we talk about life. After a couple of beers, our food arrives. It's some sort of fresh meat, veg, or pasta. Whatever we order, it always smells wonderful. The presentation is always beautiful, but you can't beat the mouth-watering smell and wonderful taste.

The food always has texture. It's generally very creamy (Mac & Cheese) or crunchy (chicharrón). Sometimes it has layers of texture (chorizo tacos). It is always an adventure. The plates all kind of merge, and the food is there for our enjoyment. We order some more brew (never the same thing twice).

If dessert comes, it's always an experience all its own. Whether it's goat cheese crepes with some sort of beer syrup, a dense and stouty torte, or a custardy but dry bread pudding, it never disappoints.

When all the food is gone, our glasses our empty, and the aftertastes are lingering in our mouths, we sit back, breathe, and smile. Maybe you do need a cigarette after this experience....

Comments

Popular Posts