Pepe Nero (Goose Island)

I had this Belgian-style Farmhouse Ale on tap at the Goose Island Wrigleyville pub.

They had several GI beers on tap. After going on the GI pub tour and tasting several of the beers, I wanted to try something new. After tasting 8 or so different GI brews in my life, I wasn't expecting anything spectacular. But hey, I don't count any brewer out for one (or 8) brews that don't fit my tastes. They aren't terrible, just not great. Drinkable, yes. Something to go out of my way for, not so much. They were good enough (or at least had high enough distribution) for AB to buy them out....

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It was black from what I could tell. It had a thin layer of white head with tiny bubbles. I couldn't smell in the crowded bar.

Taste: It was roasted and creamy. Light malt. The aftertaste was dry. I can't say much about this with how much other stuff was going on. I'd try it again. I would say that it was probably the best GI I've had yet.

From the GI site:
Brewmasters Notes:
With an aroma of roasted chestnuts and a mysteriously dark, mahogany hue, Pepe Nero is a farmhouse ale brewed with black peppercorns. His roasty sweetness melds into a lingering, earthy, black pepper finish that is ideal for pairing with grilled meats and roasted vegetables.

Recipe Information:
Style: Belgian Style Farmhouse Ale
Alcohol by Volume: 6.0%
International Bitterness Units: 30
Color: Mahogany
Malt: Pilsner, Rye, Crystal Rye, Black Malt
Hops: Pilgrim, Saaz

Comments

Popular Posts