Kilt Lifter (Moylan's)

I want to say that I've seen Moylan's bottles before, but I know that I've never tried their beer before. After trying a couple, this brewery is doing something great. This is right there with Laughing Dog, not well-known (at least to me) and fantastic.

I had been needing a great Scottish Ale. Without McEwan's being distributed locally (some rumors are not at all), I need a replacement. At this point, I'll take a risk. The cost of this bomber was quite reasonable.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It was a dark red. The head dissipated quickly, leaving a thin white-tan ring with tiny bubbles. This stayed at the top for most of the time I was drinking it. It smelled malty (sweet and biscuit). The hops were floral-earthy.

Taste: It had more of a roasted flavor than I was expecting. The maltiness was right there with the roast though. I could taste the biscuit malts, like I was eating a little bit of them. It was a nice graininess. The aftertaste was sweet, but not syrupy. It was a very well balanced beer.

I'd have to try McEwan's again, before this pushes it out of the #1 Scotch Ale spot, but it just might win. My hat's off to them for not having Imperial in the name. Don't let that keep you from thinking it's a brew with strong flavor though!

From the Moylan's site:
Robust and Strapping , Our Scotch Ale takes BIG Beers to a whole new level. Rich malt balances perfectly with delicate hops to provide a concentrated and intense flavor; an ideal companion for hearty foods, or as a meal unto itsself. Allow this ale to warm slightly in your glass to enhance its truly bold character .Sharing is encouraged, as this is one beer that lives up to its name! Hey! No peeking! Slainté! 

Comments

Popular Posts