Naptown Brown (Sun King)

Sun King was onsite at Three Floyds to promote the collaboration beer that they brewed. It's a very interesting story. The short version is that they are making a brew to send to lawmakers. They are trying to get the laws changed. Both local craft breweries are expanding and are hitting the upper limits of the production to stay within their tax bracket. Yes, in Indiana, taxes are based on the number of barrels produced annually.

This is not that collaboration beer, but I was happy to find this beer on tap in the brewpub. Even with Sun King being an Indiana brewery, I just don't see a lot of it on tap. When I saw this brown, I had to try it. I'm a fan of browns. Good ones have such a smooth even flavor. Looking for the web site description I see that it's an India Brown Ale, which would explain my thoughts on it.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It was really dark brown with a white frothy head that stuck to the glass. It smelled roasted, more roasted than your standard brown.

Taste: I could taste malt. It had a bitterness to it. The grain really came through. The aftertaste was mellow but bitter. It was sharp for a brown, but had all of the evenness of a traditional brown. I enjoyed it.

From the Sun King site:
Naptown Brown - India Brown Ale is an American-style brown ale hopped aggressively like an IPA. Sun King is the official beer of Naptown Roller Girls and we brewed this beer in their honor. Naptown Brown is the perfect balance of sweetness and bitterness, which makes it a lot like a roller girl.

Comments

Popular Posts