Back Burner (Southern Tier)

This was part of my collection of barleywines that I want to try out. Southern Tier generally has decent brews, so I figured I'd give their imperial barleywine a shot.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: I was able to get a light bubbly head with a vigorous pour. It was a dark red, almost brown. I could smell the grain and yeast. I smelled a weird citrusy scent too.

Taste: I could taste bitter citrus right on. Like the bitter part of a pith, not the acid. It may have still been in my mind from the smell. It was sweeter than I was expecting. The aftertaste was sweet too. It was really dry too though and earthy. This beer was full of contradictions! I just wasn't a huge fan. There was a lot going on here, but it didn't taste balanced to me. I'd definitely try it again. It was drinkable, I just wouldn't rank it in my favorites.

From the Southern Tier site:
Long ago, British farmhouse brewers made special ales using the first runnings of the mash. These beers, now called barley wine, are brewed in the tradition of days past. At Southern Tier this long awaited brew is placed on the back burner until the start of the new year. Back Burner Barley Wine is a celebration of things to come and things remembered. It’s conceived in three small batches, using voluminous amounts of barley and hops. The process starts early in the morning and ends late into the night. We hope this rare brew reignites your spirit for another trip around the sun.

Comments

Popular Posts