Perfect Neighborhood Pub: Cumberland Brews

When visiting Louisville, the main points of interests were pubs and restaurants. Cumberland Brews came up on my pub search. The reviews weren't great, but based on the places that were "good" I was totally on board. Plus it was in the eclectic Bardstown area.

I stepped into the small, private pub on a very rainy day. I sat at the bar. Past the tanks and mash tun, I watched the torrential downpour, light rain, and sprinkles cycle out of the big storefront window. The bartenders noticed I was there, but didn't hover. A fresh cake was sitting on a stand on the middle of the bar.The food menu looked great, but I had just pigged out on a breakfast that could have easily fed four. This was my kind of spot. It was quiet and had quality food and drink.

I started my exploration of the Cumberland brews with the Cream Ale. Simple, grainy, and perfect. I went through all of my beer selections and ended with a creamy Nitro Porter, chocolate cake, and a bit of mead.

All of their beers were well-balanced. I couldn't stay away from a bowl of bison chili and a taste of some jerk chicken wings. Both were done well. Good quality, not too fanced up. The crowd was as eclectic as the Bardstown shops. I watched the hipsters, the couples, and the woman at the table enjoying a beer while she knitted. I looked at the brewing sketches on the walls and the worn, floral carpet. I read the funny, odd, and creative bumper stickers plastered on the door of the brewing room. More importantly I savored my beers.

Great service, diverse menu for vegans, vegetarians, and meat-eaters, and interesting decor. It was quiet, but that may have just been because it was a rainy Saturday afternoon. This is a must visit on any trip to Louisville I take in the future.

Comments

Popular Posts