"Think Globally, Drink Locally": Thr3e Wise Men Brewing Company

Thr3e Wise Men restaurant/brewery is on the far side of the happening pubs on Broad Ripple Ave in Indy. This was a spur of the moment stop. We generally just go to the area and randomly pick a spot to settle in for a drink and food. We were about to leave the area when we saw this spot. I couldn't miss the big fermentation tank outside, great advertising. This spot just opened this past January, so I hadn't seen it before.


It was bright and super clean inside. With how bright the lights were, I'd be able to see the slightest bit of dirt! It looked as new as it was. The decor was a mixture of wood and metal. Very modern. Take that for what you will. The tables had large barrels as the base. It had big flat-screen TVs everywhere, mixing that modern feel with a sports bar (no neon though). The beers on tap were listed on the chalkboard above the bar area. They didn't have any guest taps. They had their brewing operations, large tanks and mash tun, proudly displayed and very brightly lit.

As I sat down I saw the big refrigerated case behind the bar. It had a good selection of guest beers in bottles that you could have or carry out. Not sure if this gets around the new exception for Indiana breweries in Indiana's No Liquor Sales on Sundays law. If it does, they are doing the community a service.

They didn't have a super great selection. It was spring, so I'll cut them some slack for the wheaty, fruity, beers. Their wheaty beer was going along with what I've been seeing that these brewers are doing (not sure if it's just Indiana). They laid on the Weihenstephan Weizen-type yeast used to banana up the beer in the most unbalanced taste that really just isn't my cup of booze.

I did really like that they'd let you get a set of three large tasters (6 oz)  for a flight of sorts ($5). If you didn't have time for three full pints, it's a good option. The prices on the brews were overall decent. They had growlers too. I almost wanted to take one home; their tagline "Think Globally, Drink Locally" was applied to one side.

The food made up for the average and fruit brews. The menu is simple, and goes along with the feel of the place. They have apps, salads, and pizzas. I wanted to try everything.  They try to throw the beer in everything and brew in each description, which I appreciate on some level. They try to bring it all together, but I knew that the beer taste probably didn't come through.

What really got me was the freshness of everything and the quality ingredients. Local cheese, homemade marinara, fresh breads and meat from local farms. It may be in my mind, but it really makes a difference to me. The taste is just out of this world.


The food and the atmosphere on that Sunday afternoon really made this a better than average bar/restaurant. They took obvious care to get all this together. Is it to capitalize on the craftbrew movement? I don't really care.

Comments

Popular Posts