Packets of Food


One way to know that it's summer is when I find myself unwrapping packets of food. The type of food you are sure to find in a proper midwest festival.

I enjoy a good festival. That has been one of the new activities that I started to enjoy when I moved to the midwest. The winter goes away, and the festivals begin. We had a long winter this year, and I've been out of town, but this weekend I got back on the festival hunt.

I went to the SerbFest and opened up my little foil packets of pork and lamb. This was the real deal; they had whole pigs and lamb rotating over the fire on spits. This came with spicy sausages, kielbasa, a cabbage roll, Serbian potato salad, vinegary coleslaw, fresh baked bread, mixed veg and a cheese strudel of sorts. Luckily I had someone to share with.


Today I opened up two little paper packets: bbq pork and bbq chicken sandwiches. I went to a wonderful little art fair. They have their fair share of artist in this town with bead jewelry and other interesting crafts. They also have some serious artists and craftsmen that work on really great pieces.

One notable artist was a woodworker. He had made a single wine cabinet that looked like stacked wine crates. It was complete with rack, a place to hang glassware, and valet. He had carefully applied transfers to stamp the crates. He even crafted wooden bottle tops to look like the side where the glassware was stashed was a wine rack. He artfully blended different types of wood to really separate the areas of the piece and rotated each simulated crate to further the effect. Very well done.

Next to the woodworker was a booth full of smooth stone sculptures. His signature design was the möbius strip in alabaster. Most of his pieces were in alabaster, but some were also in soapstone. All of the coloring and swirls of veining were all natural. He had taken it, shaped it and smoothed it. Stonework did not die out with the ancient Greeks.

Two packets so far this season. What bundles of food and experiences will I come across the rest of this summer festival season?

Comments

Popular Posts