Take 2: Pierogi Fest 2011

This annual event has been featured on Food Network and various lists of notable US festivals. Last year I finally had my first Pierogi Fest experience: impossible to find parking, crowded and narrow, long lines, and HOT. That was a Saturday, this year I had the opportunity to go during a Friday afternoon, and it made all the difference.

First we hit the art tents. The street was lined with some unique artisans displaying their wooden jewelry, earth stones, pierogi bobbles, and even hand-painted cloth pins. We were able to walk through the thin crowd and really see all of the booths (not just a run through). The clouds were covering the sun. It was a nice experience. 

Then we walked past the fenced-off beer area to the food. The crowd was growing thicker and the sun was coming out. The first pierogi booth had quite a long line. Knowing that this was a festival dedicated to all that is pierogi, we moved away from the first booth to find a shorter line. We found a booth with no line. I got one of each: meat, potato, cheese and kraut. They were delicious. Then I saw mouth-watering kabobs on the grill. I regained my focus and search for more pierogi. After an attempt to eat the molten pierogi with a fork, I looked over at my younger companion. He only had half left and the pierogi went from hand to mouth. 

Note to self, pierogi is the perfect finger food. 

We moved past the crowd and stopped by a little tent to get misted cool. It did the job. We continued our hunt for more pierogi. I found myself looking in my wallet, and gauging the crafts I bought to how many pierogi I could have bought. Live and learn. We found another stand (Gosia Pierogi). They only had one type of pierogi, my favorite type, potato cheddar. I bought a plate of these pierogi covered in onions. I scarfed it down, in the unbearable heat, with butter running down my arms. Wish I had a cold beer (=4 pierogi).

I was disappointed with my 8 pierogi haul, but I had to find the strudel. The flakey crust, perfectly balanced filling, and sweet aroma was the saving grace from an otherwise miserable experience last year. I found it and bought half of a cherry strudel to take home (=5 pierogi).

After a second stop at Gosia Pierogi (my companion couldn't resist). We dragged ourselves through the heat back to the car and headed home.

Why don't they have this fun-filled event in the fall? Maybe it's to keep the crowds down!

Comments

Popular Posts