Special Forces (Crown Brewing)

I had been to Crown Brewing's pub a couple times, and I've had their beer at a couple of events. On a perfect patio day, I drove down, sat right next to the Crown Brewing smokestack, and had a couple of pints with some wings and pizza. First on tap was this IPA.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This had an off-white head that floats on the top for a while with light lacing. It was an amber-brown with a bit of an orange to it. I could smell the earthy hops.

Taste: It was woody, and some chill-inducing cascade hops came through. The malt balanced it out a bit. It had a rounded bitterness like a coffee. Don't get me wrong, this tasted nothing of coffee, but the type of bitter was similar. It was creamy. This was a decent brew. I wouldn't go out of my way for this IPA, but I'd recommend it to people that were visiting Crown.

From the Crown site:
This deep gold colored brew has a strong citrusy flowery hop aroma. The intense hop bitterness and flavor is backed by medium maltiness and body. Our IPA is hopped seven times during the boil with Summit, CTZ, Centenial, lots of Cascade, and dry-hopped (adding hops directly to the beer post fermentation) for additional character. Special Forces IPA is left unfiltered to lock in all the hop freshness.

Special Forces IPA was named in honor of a local US Army Special Forces Ranger.

Comments

Popular Posts