Oh, the Miles We Travel!

When I lived in KC, I'd travel 40 or so miles to my favorite pub. They had carefully-crafted snacks and entrees (especially around Fat Tuesday), handmade sausage, 99 taps of mostly craft brews from all over the world, and all kinds of bottles. A good friend was always there to meet me. I didn't have many options out there before Flying Saucer. The Trouser Mouse (read, smoke-filled dive), with their cartoon mouse wearing slacks with suspenders, was not my idea of a good time. For a quick pint or Thursday night with the gang, I'd hit a local chain or the fantastic close-by location of Waldo's Pizza (with a good selection of bottles and fantastically bad service). I'd get their meaty, meat, meat pizza (with meat on the top, bottom and sides) and a can of Wexford until we bought them out. Yet, when I wanted my full pub experience, it was to all the way out Barley's I'd go.

Back in my home town, it is a quick 10 or so miles to Main Street Pub, with a good selection of drinkable pints on their taps, and a second-story patio almost close enough to feel the Indian River.

Here, in my new home, I'm 1.7 miles from my favorite pub, and just a tad bit farther from another bar with a dynamite selection.

One of my best bier-related travels was to the Mutterland. I went to a proper biergarten and had a few proper pints (brewed, of course, for Prater Gartens). I cheered with the locals for the US playing against England in the World Cup Series. Afterward, I went to a little bistro of sorts where I got large bottles of the good stuff for 1 Euro each.

The farthest I've traveled for a good meal, drink, experience? I had smooth, local wine in Budapest, delectable cabbage rolls from the market, spicy and smoky paprika on the table, and a stroll through a labyrinth under a castle. 4836.8 miles. Almost as far was Krakow (4725.55 miles), where I got three large cans of very drinkable beer and a little bottle of vodka (smooth for the price) for under $5 USD. The spiced vodka and large pours from the tap at a cafe in the city's center were perfect for watching the penny-farthing bicycles raced around the square. The pierogi I had at a tourist trap wasn't fantastic, but the dinner at the Ikea-furnished hotel was hearty and divine.

What is the farthest you've ever traveled for a handmade sausage, a craveable pint, or that one perfect cup of joe?



Comments

Popular Posts