Red Trolley and Bitter Goodness (Karl and Firestone)

The Marketplace at the LA Country Fair had some good local brew selections, even on the last day of the fair. They gave samples too! I was able to share pints of Red Trolley Ale (Karl Strauss) and Special Bitter Double Barrel Ale (Firestone Walker).

My  notes summed up: they are both good. I was enjoying the fair, so I didn't go crazy with it.

Red Trolley (Left) & Special Bitter (Right)
Red Trolley
Look and Smell: It was dark red with a thin head. I couldn't smell much over the cocktail of fair smells and outdoorsy-ness.

Taste: It was light and grainy. I got some malt sweetness. A good, simple, red ale (that has won a couple of medals in CA this year). This is an every-day brew. Great for the moderate heat, but it's heavy enough that I'd pass on it during an LA summer!

From the KS site:
A medium-bodied beer with heavyweight malts. We brew it with a half ton of caramelized malts for a rich copper color and toffee flavor. After adding the perfect mix of hops for balance, we warm ferment the beer to bring out a hint of dried raisins and currants. The complexity of flavors makes Red Trolley Ale a hearty and truly enjoyable beer.

Special Bitter
Look and Smell: This was amber tinted ale with thin white head.

Taste: The bitterness was balanced with the malted grain and earthy hops. I'd drink this again.

I can only find the standard DBA on their site, and this was definitely a special release. So I didn't get any ABV or IBU for this one.

Comments

Popular Posts