Autumn Maple (The Bruery)

This spicy Belgian ale was a good way to hold onto autumn. I kept the bottle for Thanksgiving. It's a couple of days late, but it seemed like a perfect pairing with my fresh pumpkin pie.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: I could smell the maple as I poured it. It was an earthy natural maple. This is an extremely complex brew. The smells can be talked about for a half hour! After I got passed the maple, I could smell the Belgian yeast with some notes of vanilla. The earthy yams came in. I smelled the nutmeg at the end. I felt like Violet Beauregarde tasting the three-course meal gum. Luckily, I did not turn into a yam. Beyond the enticing aroma, the head was white and frothy. It was thick and each glass took a few minutes to settle after a smooth pour. The brew itself was super dark, orange-amber color.

Taste: I tasted the Belgian yeast and sugars. It tasted maple syrupy, but it wasn't too sweet for me. I guess my sweet tastes go more toward earthy sweetness than fruit. I got the earthy yam flavor all throughout. It was really good though. As I read that, it sounds very odd. It is a great taste though. This was amazing with the pie. I normally don't eat and drink at the same time, but I couldn't take a bite without a sip.

From The Bruery site:
Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the “pumpkin” beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

Comments

Popular Posts