Clare's Right Hook (Haymarket)

This bourbon-barreled barleywine was the best to end with (post-wise and drink-wise). It was a powerful brew that would have blasted my taste buds, rendering them useless for any other brews. These are quick love it/hate it notes....and it's LOVE IT.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It has a full bourbon smell, no holding back. I could smell the malted grain through the bourbon, reminding me it was indeed beer.

Taste: My notes are just, "mmmmm." It had all the caramel and vanilla tastes of a good bourbon. It was rich without being as thick as Old Viscosity or Old Engine Oil. It was a sipping beer that became more complex as it warmed. I do not remember getting much hop flavor with this brew, but my tastes may have been keying in on the bourbon.

From the menu:
This huge, hoppy and alcoholic brew was aged for 3 months in 8-year-old Woodford Reserve bourbon barrels. Caramel, vanilla, coconut and lots of bourbon character.

Comments

Popular Posts