Savory Cranberry Chutney

The "eat" part of this site seems to only have action when the temperatures start dipping, and I start hibernating. It's not quite there yet, but with the holiday season I have a few recipes to start getting me through the autumn.

This cranberry chutney is one of my go-to recipes. I've pulled this up many times since I originally posted it. I eat it with goat cheese, on sandwiches, and piled on brie with extra walnuts for brie en croĆ»te. It's good on biscuits or toast. It's savory, tart, and a bit sweet. It's a great way to use those cranberries you got on sale.   


For this chutney, I tried to follow a recipe, but in typical Tani fashion ended up making something else. As with most of my recipe posts, I'm not one for measuring spices. With the base of it in place, you can spice it up with as much as you want. I know you will anyway!

Ingredients (for a large jar)
14 oz or so of Cranberries 
1/2 Yellow Onion (Diced)
1 tbsp Ginger (Chopped)
1/2 Large Orange (Zested, Peeled & Diced)
1/4c of Chopped Walnuts (or just break them apart in your hand)
1/2c of Maple Syrup (don't skimp, use the good kind)
8 Pitted Dates (Chopped)
substitute 1/4 c of raisins if you don't have dates
Spices: Cayenne, Cinnamon, Pepper, and Salt



  1. This one is pretty basic. Throw everything in the pot (including orange zest). Sprinkle in the cinnamon and cayenne. (I put in about 1/4 tsp of cayenne and 1 tsp of cinnamon.) Leave out the salt and pepper for now.
  2. Cook over medium heat until the cranberries start busting, and you get a bit of a bubble. 
  3. Simmer on low for about 40 minutes stirring often to keep the sugars from sticking to the bottom.
  4. Taste it...see if it needs more cayenne or cinnamon. Add salt and pepper if you need it. 
  5. Cool it off and enjoy for days (if it lasts that long). 
When all was said and done, I ended up not putting any salt on it and adding just a dash of pepper. Some people just have to have the salt. If it's too tart for you, add more syrup.




Comments

Popular Posts