Odd Adventurer

Being Tani is being an odd adventurer. I find myself exploring every place I go. I'm a person that can find fun in Hutchinson, Kansas. Your standard airport is no exception. I didn't really notice it until this last trip.
In my usual style, I checked in, went through security, checked my gate for flight updates, and started my adventure through MDW. My carry-on is a light bag with a Kindle and sweater added to my standard necessities (wallet and phone). It's a personal item, not a burden.

I walk past the food and check out each of the concourses. I walk past the statues and pictures, from carpet to hard laminate. I see people on their phones and people staring aimlessly at the screen at the gate. People are looking up flight information on the hallway monitors or sitting down for a pre-flight drink. There is no use wasting the hour or so (or sometimes more with delays). No point sitting in the uncomfortable airport chairs waiting to sit in an even more uncomfortable and cramped plane. So I walk.

I had two main discoveries this trip.
  1. MDW has bottle fill-up stations by two of the water fountains. Easy for filling up your empty all the way without having to tip it awkwardly into the fountain. (Note to travelers: Always bring an empty bottle. Most airports have drinkable water. It saves you the craziness of airport price gouging too.)
  2. MDW has a hidden little area for gates A4A and A4B. The journey starts with a newspaper stand and the cleanest bathroom you'll find in the whole airport. Pictures of local landmarks are hung on the narrow corridor leading up to the gates. It's a bit of a hike, but the carpet is super padded, and it isn't crowded.  
Maybe I'm a airport adventurer to find the cleanest bathrooms. Maybe I do it for the people watching. Mostly I do it because I can't and won't sit still if I don't have to. Whenever you get to a new place, it doesn't hurt to check it out. Not only will the adventure kill time, but you may find something you'd never think you would.

Comments

Popular Posts