Tough Dog, Tough Brew

Bulldog Brewing Company
1409 119th Street - Whiting, IN 46394

When a new brewpub opens, especially within a 40 mile radius of where I live, I have to go check it out. A while back, I visited Bulldog Brewing Co. in Whiting, IN.


I had never been to Whiting on a non-pierogi fest night, so this was different. Downtown Whiting looked like your stereotypical Americana. Old buildings with open storefronts. Small shops with odd collections of goods. When I walked up to the Bulldog, it was no different. It's copper-colored tanks were cleanly framed by their storefront window.

When we walked in we were greeted by a friendly hostess. The whole spot was a mix of brick and wood. Classic, but modern. It wasn't too loud, but it wasn't quite late enough for the party. The dining area was very cozy, yet open. We opted to sit at the narrow bar. The whole spot was smoke-free, so I could fully enjoy the taste and smell of all that I ordered.

The menu had some good pub fare. It was a bit more modern than your standard fare. They used a form of naan for panini and other menu items. I had to go for the fried pickles and a BLT (on naan) with cheese.

The bartender offered some tastes while I started thinking of my first order. When I visited they only had a few of their brews on tap: Roby Red, Downtime Wheat, and 11 Mile Lager. They had a decent selection of guest taps too. It is my understanding that they had just started serving their own concoctions not long before my visit. Their brews were all drinkable, but I've never been big on lagers or wheats. I settled in for a Roby Red. It's a standard red ale with a solid grainy flavor. It had an easy aftertaste.

From the Bulldog site:
Your tastebuds will race with excitement as your palette enjoys the caramel malts and English hops that give this medium-bodied ale it's robust flavor. Named for the historic Roby Speedway tucked between 108th and 112th streets from 1920-1936. Pouring its deep red hue, lift a glass to the local dare devils that push the limits just like a good craft brew.

The fried pickles came, and they were quite tasty. The pickle still had a little crunch to it. The dough was crispy and a little thick. Soon after we finished off the pickles, the entrees arrived. The BLT was delicious. The bacon was thick and crunchy, and the tomatoes were juicy. There was no lettuce, but I'm not complaining. I swapped half of my sandwich for Mr. K's chicken sandwich with roasted red peppers. (I had to get a good taste of their food right?)

As we ate, I noticed one of the brewers carefully tending to what smelled like a malty stout. I could smell the wort boiling as he ran back and forth to the tanks mothering it; checking the temperature neurotically. I want to drink beer from an obsessed brewer. It was a wonderful aroma that more than added to the overall ambiance. It made me want to stay.


My only BIG complaint was the frosted glassware. I had to wait for my red to warm. I had to ask them to serve my beer in a non-frosted glass after the first one (which they did). I understand that it's what some people like, but I think it deadens the beer a bit. The beer was coming out of the taps at a good temperature. If their beers were bad, I'd understand. I just thinks it takes away from it all. It also doesn't help that it's wintertime, so it takes that much longer to warm. It was underscored by the bartender taking out one large mug to find that it had frozen over at the top. She couldn't even break the layer of ice with a straw! This is not something that I'd lose sleep over, and I definitely appreciate the bartender giving me a standard glass when I asked for it.

All in all, it's a good spot with good food, good beer, and a great atmosphere. I hope they do well. Just remember when and if you visit Bulldog Brewing, be sure to ask for a non-frosted glass!

Comments

Popular Posts