Chocolate Ale (Boulevard)

I feel compelled to write about this brew next. I had a couple pours of this brew. I even went to the local shop and bought four bombers. I did not know this was the much-sought-after brew it turned out to be.

I ordered this brew for a taste of KC. I have a love of Christopher Elbow chocolates. The experience of picking out your own delectable treats from their vast and unique collection. Elbow never disappointed me. So when I saw that this brew was a collaboration with that wonderful chocolatier, I felt like I was back in KC. But apparently, it is impossible to find this decadent brew in KC. It was a limited run, and a very limited distribution locally. People were pre-ordering it. People were running to the pubs that were posting that they still had some on tap. Apparently, it was madness. So I sat, far removed from it, in an Indiana pub. Life works out that way sometimes.

Now to the beer.....

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: It would have a thick, but normal head if you had a good pour of it. It was off-white with tiny bubbles. It left light lacing as I drank it. The best bit was the smell. It was glorious. It was like walking into the chocolate shop. It was like freshly grated milk chocolate. It was a very rich smell.

Taste: It was like a good chocolate bar melting in your mouth. I do prefer the chili chocolate beers. I like a little spice. This was very tasty though.

I normally share my C.Elbow chocolate treats with Mr. K. I was having an issue finishing this rich brew. For the bomber, you definitely have to share....perhaps with your sweetie on Valentine's Day...that's if you can get a bottle.

From the Boulevard site:
One of the brightest stars in a city filled with culinary treasures, Christopher Elbow has been handcrafting masterpieces in chocolate for more than ten years. In that time the reputation of his artistic delicacies has spread around the globe. Elbow’s sweets are distinguished by their use of unusual and sometimes surprising flavors and ingredients; in that adventurous spirit we joined forces to bring you a very special Chocolate Ale.

In developing this beer, Elbow and Boulevard brewmaster Steven Pauwels sought to harmonize the interplay of chocolate and malt, with each supporting and enhancing, but not overwhelming, the other. Just the right chocolate was essential. Elbow recommended a rare variety from the Dominican Republic, prized for its robust flavor and aroma, and a personal favorite. More than a mere flavoring, the chocolate — in the form of nibs, or crushed, roasted beans – was incorporated into the brewing process itself.

Comments

Popular Posts