Das Kleine Schwarz Einhorn (Three Floyds)

This schwarzbier, black lager, was one I really wanted to try. I figured this 5.5% ABV was a good second after the thick booziness of the BA Black Sun. The server was really having a good time saying the name of this beer. To the point of almost correcting me when I asked for the schwarzbier.

I really want to say that FFF had another schwarzbier a year or so ago, but I can't find any notes about it. I was to say the name translated to "is it dark enough for you" or something like that. Maybe it was a different brewery, or maybe it was before I started keeping notes. And this my friends is why I keep notes!

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This black brew had a thin layer of creamy bubbles for lacing. They clung to the glass. It had a bit of a roasted smell to it. As I drank it, the coffee aromas really came out.

Taste: It was roasted like a coffee. A light coffee with a little malt sweetness to it, but not much. It was a decent black lager, it wasn't as malty/sweet as some. I like that. It was a thin. It didn't end too bitter or have a coffee aftertaste.

From the menu:
Ever seen a unicorn? How about a baby German one that's not while, but black? Well now is your chance to let one merrily prance across your palate. This black German-style session lager is refreshing, crisp, and mystically intriguing with it's maltiness.

*So I'm not understanding the whole unicorn thing...It's not unique and it's a simple brew. Hell, I read that Sam Adams and Gordon Biersch makes them. My two cents....just go get a Köstritzer. There I said it.

Comments

Popular Posts