Irish Ale (Boulevard)

This brew was on tap at a a local chain bar as part of a St. Patrick's Day selection. I don't remember loving this brew, but I wanted to give it another shot. It was better than I remembered.

Boulevard Brewing Company produces some decent craft brews for the general beer-drinking public. Some are refreshing, some make a good brat boil, others are good everyday brews. They definitely don't push the limits of brewing, but not every brewery needs to. They have the Smokestack Series, which at the beginning was hit or miss. One was actually drain pour to me. (I can count on one hand how many times that's happened.) I've heard good things lately, and I'm looking forward to trying the Tank 7 I have in my lair.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: The head was a creamy white with moderate to heavy lacing as I drank it down. It was a dark red color. It had a malty smell that I could pick up over the bar smells.

Taste: It was malty and a little watery (not in a bad way, just very light). The aftertaste was the malted grain. It was drinkable. I'd take it to a party; it seems like it would be widely enjoyed.

From the Boulevard site:
Irish Ale, Boulevard’s early spring seasonal beer, is our Midwestern tribute to the legendary red ales of old Ireland. Our recipe combines six kinds of pale and roasted barley malts to provide a rich, toasty flavor and tawny reddish hue.

Comments

Popular Posts