Pre-Trip Planning (Upfront Obsessing)

I travel as much as I can get away with. Whether it's some rural outpost or a bustling city near or far, I get out. I go to watch and roam. It is rare that I go somewhere for any reason in particular, I generally just want to experience the area. If it happens to have a notable museum, Roman ruins, featured restaurants, or some rarities, that's plus, but I'll always find something new.

When I plan for my trips I try to get as familiar with the area as I can. I try hook up with locals or frequent visitors. I comb the web for pictures, articles, reviews, and tips. I try to learn some basic courtesies in the local language. I've been known to make the occasional spreadsheet to accompany my fully-loaded Google Map.

When people talk to me in this planning phase, they probably think I'm nuts. But believe me, I'm not like this when I get to my destination. My highlighters and spreadsheets are tucked away once I set foot in my vacation spot. This upfront obsession makes for a very laid back trip, since I know my surroundings. It's amazing how you can be right next to something and not know it's there. While I don't catch everything on every trip, it's nice to have a feeling that I'm not missing anything major. Having a better expectation also helps me feel like I'm not getting ripped off (too much).

So what do I focus on?

Generalities & Landmarks/Attractions
DK travel guides have really been helpful in all of my travels. I've looked at all the Frommer's, Lonely Planet, Fodor's, Rick Steves, but DK works with my brain. It's the right amount of clear pictures, graphics, and text. The layout works for me too. Breaking cities into zones is how my brain works. The area and transportation maps are always helpful. Websites are great sources too, but the DK book gives me the overview I need. It's even a good souvenir with pictures you may not get in some museums. I will say that the pocket-sized NFT (Not For Tourists) Guide for NYC was amazing too, but I was already semi-familiar with the area.

The guides give me a good start to do some further research on the local museums, parks, and monuments. I can figure out which ones to skip and which ones are worth seeing. I may have one or two must-sees on my list, but generally I just like to know what's out there. If I'm around and have time, I go. It's always good to know and to be very flexible.

Transportation
I always scope out the local transit. I compare day passes and per trip rates. I check out local bus routes, metro lines, trains, and trams. I check out taxi rates. I like to know my options. If there is a major sight that is out of the way, I map it out.

I make sure my transportation to and from the airport is clear, whether it's taxi, shuttle, or bus. I can't make those decisions feeling jet-lagged and out of it from zero sleep. (I can't sleep on the plane.)

For more rural areas I check out maps. I might check out construction zones and known areas of congestion.

Currency & Costs
I check the exchange rate before I go, so I have an idea of how much of my hard-earned USD it's costing me when I buy that drink, meal, or postcard. I'll never forget when Mr. K proudly brought us what amounted to $25 worth of meat after conversion. It was tender and juicy slow-roasted pork from the market, but that was still a hefty sum for the area and a whole lot of pork. (Weight conversion is good to know too!)

I try to get a reasonable expectation of general costs. It was good to know that San Francisco tacks on a health service tax. For a Chicago coffee to cost double what it does in Blue Springs, MO is not unheard of.

I like to find out if you have to pay to use the restroom, and try to find out if there are free areas too. I can always go to a cafe or pub, but I always make sure I bring some potty change just in case.

Food
I always focus on the food. Many a trip-planning session ends with me, drooling in front of the monitor at some photo of an entree or some menu option. I like to know what to look for. I like to know if there are some must-visit restaurants or local dishes that I shouldn't miss.

If I had not looked into it, I would have missed out on the four slices of fresh pie I took back to the room after I completely stuffed myself with home cookin' at Wagon Wheel Cafe near Hutchinson, KS. I wouldn't have known to try the Slivovice, a Czech plum brandy with an "acquired taste". 

My pre-planning obsession always gives me the knowledge and comfort level I need to relax and enjoy the trip. I can only be flexible if I'm aware of the options!

Comments

Popular Posts