Tipperary (Moylan's)

I'm slowly working my way through the Moylan's brews. It's close to St. Patrick's Day, so I figured this Pale Ale would be fitting.

A well-known Irish revolutionary was born in this county in Ireland. Charles Joseph Kickham was a novelist, poet, journalist, and prominant member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood. His writing was said to be ordinary, but the content was inspiring.

"For many years Knocknagow was the book - along with a prayerbook and Old Moore's Almanac -- most likely to be found in any Irish home. Most Irish writers born between 1870 and 1950 would have read it as children." - From Ex-Classics

Because of this interesting tidbit, I've always wanted to try this one.

I'm always surprised how reasonable the price is for a 20oz bottle these days when people are really going nuts with high-priced bombers. This I had on tap at a local chain bar. They must have been making a killing off that keg charging their typical craft brew price. For a low-cost brew, I'm always pleased by the content. Not every beer can be extraordinary, but their brews are consistently good.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: The head was a white froth. As always at this chain bar, the glass was overflowing. I couldn't smell much more than a light malt over the restaurant and bar smells. It left moderate to heavy lacing as I drank it down.

Taste: It was a surprisingly light pale ale. Almost like a lager. It had a light hop finish. This is a brew that you could drink all day. I think this might be a go-to summer beer.

From the Moylan's site:
Our version of the classic Pale Ale style is named in tribute to County Tipperary, our Founder’s Father’s Homeland. Sweetly sharp and smoothly bitter, this beer straddles the line between what you want and what you need. It’s not a long way to Tipperary anymore! Slainté.

Comments

Popular Posts