Double Crooked Tree (Dark Horse)

This is a dangerous brew. I saw this IPA on the menu and was thinking about it. I was enjoying the beer in hand (Scapegoat ESB) when I heard the bartender and person next to me chatting about it. About the person the other night who looked up the beer online, because she didn't believe it was really 12% ABV. About how smooth it was for such a high IBU. I'm normally not in tune with the others around me, but I hearing that chat sealed the deal.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: This amber/ruby brew and a small-bubbly off-white head.

Taste: It was hopppppy. Earthy hops. The booze was definitely well hidden. It was like hop juice. It had a deep-pithiness to it. I guess I've been into that pith bitter lately! Very good, sippable, dangerous brew. I was careful. I knew what I was getting into.

From the Dark Horse site:
Have you read the description for the regular Crooked Tree yet? Well this beer is almost the same just double the flavor and alcohol. We actually took the Crooked Tree recipe and doubled all of the ingredients except the water, just the way a DOUBLE should be made. Big hops balanced with tons of malt give this beer a huge body. Although this beer is as cool as "The Fonz" when first purchased, it gets really mellow and smooth with some age. After a year or two stored in a cool dark place you'll notice the heavy caramel and malt flavors are trying to sneak past the hops. This beer is hugely delicious so it will need your undivided attention (the chores can wait....trust us).

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts