90 Shilling (O'Dell)

It has been years since I've had this amber ale or anything by O'Dell. I saw this bottle on the menu at Francesca’s on Taylor and figured it would go well with my avocado and palm heart salad and big bowl of pasta! My notes are brief; I didn't have time to take in-depth notes while enjoying the food and company.

General Thoughts
Look and Smell: Creamy off-white head with heavy lacing. Gold-amber color. Floral hop aroma.

Taste: Floral hop. Bitter. Malt aftertaste. Slightly creamy, but light in consistency. It wasn't as grainy as I was expecting. Still delicious as it was 600 or so beers ago!

From the O'Dell site:
We introduced 90 Shilling, our flagship beer, at our opening party in 1989. For a while, we’d been wondering what would happen if we lightened up the traditional Scottish ale? The result is an irresistibly smooth and delicious medium-bodied amber ale. The name 90 Shilling comes from the Scottish method of taxing beer. Only the highest quality beers were taxed 90 Shillings. A shilling was a British coin used from 1549 to 1982. We think you’ll find this original ale brilliantly refreshing, and worth every shilling.

Comments

Popular Posts